Winning this award is transformational – It showed how others see us, giving our team the confidence to believe nothing was impossible. Knowing the way we innovate really makes a difference to our customers, leading to double-digit sales growth and more listening by prospective customers & partners. In short, a demanding but extremely important achievement.
On winning the Queen’s award Bamboo Distribution celebrated the award during a royal reception at Buckingham Palace, a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
The award, positively changed the image of Bamboo internally and externally as it proved the credibility of the work the Bamboo business contributes. Our staff felt proud and valued for their contribution in making Bamboo such a worthy winner, which lifted their spirits.
Externally our customers started to recognise our services in a more valuable light which helped improve the growth of the business. The award also furnished the business with integrity and trustworthiness which lead to the sale of the business 2 years after the award was presented.
Overall winning the Queen’s Award furnished Bamboo a huge amount of positivity, confidence and a sense of achievement for all the work done over the years.
OPRO has been honoured with two Queen’s Awards. We won the first award in 2007 and the second 12 years later in 2019. Both awards were granted in the category of Enterprise: Innovation in recognition of our groundbreaking work in the field of oral protection.
Whilst the Queen’s Award application process may be rigorous, the benefits of winning far outweigh any of the challenges involved. The most positive effect for us has been in international sales. Being able to print the Queen’s Award logo on our packaging or use it on our website and marketing material has given us prestige and set us apart from our competitors.
Winning has been described as the equivalent of being awarded a corporate knighthood and we have certainly felt the effects of that elevation in status in our company.
The King’s Award for Enterprise is a highly prestigious set of awards for outstanding achievement by UK businesses in the categories of Innovation, International Trade, Sustainable Development and Promoting Opportunity.
The awards are made annually by His Majesty The King and are only given for the highest levels of excellence, and are valid for 5 years. In 2023, only 149 were awarded across the UK, with 6 going to Hertfordshire-based businesses.
The deadline for the 2024 awards is 1pm on 12th September, so start your application now at https://www.gov.uk/kings-awards-for-enterprise.
What happens if your organisation gets an award?
If you get an award you’ll be:
- invited to a Royal reception
- presented with the award at your company by one of The King’s representatives, the Lord-Lieutenant
- able to fly The King’s Awards flag at your main office, and use the emblem on your marketing materials (for example, on your packaging, advertisements, stationery and website)
- given a Grant of Appointment (an official certificate) and a commemorative crystal trophy
Organisations that got an award have reported benefiting from worldwide recognition, increased commercial value, greater press coverage and a boost to staff recruitment and retention.
Find out if your business is eligible
To apply for the King’s Award for Enterprise your organisation must:
- be based in the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man)
- have a good compliance record with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - for example, showing you pay the right amount of tax on time
- be a self-contained enterprise that markets its own products or services and is under its own management
- have at least 2 full-time UK employees or part-time equivalents
- demonstrate strong environmental, social and governance (ESG) practices
Your organisation can be a business, non-profit or in the public sector.
Each of the award categories has additional entry criteria.
Congratulations to the Hertfordshire 2023 Kings Awards winners
Video: To follow (interview with John Howie)
Copy: List of 2023 winners by category
The Lord-Lieutenant Robert Voss CBE said – I am absolutely delighted that Hertfordshire has no less than six winners of the Queens’ Award for Enterprise 2023 out of a total of 149 awarded for the whole of the UK. These are without doubt the most prestigious awards available to any UK business and are extremely competitive with several thousand companies entering. I very much look forward to presenting the awards later in the year and congratulate each and everyone on this wonderful achievement. Their success really demonstrates that Hertfordshire is truly “The County of Opportunity and Entrepreneurship”. The county and I are proud of you all.
2022 recipients of the Queen's Award
- Kane International Ltd (Welwyn Garden City)
- ProtecX Medical Limited (Hitchin)
- WUKA Ltd (St Albans)
2021 recipients of the Queen's Award
- FFEI Ltd (Hemel Hempstead)
- Forensic Analytics Ltd (Letchworth)
- Makevale Ltd (Ware)
- Silixa Ltd (Elstree)
- Detectortesters (No Climb Products Ltd) (Welham Green)
- DLRC LTD (Letchworth Garden City)
- LONDON EXAMINATIONS BOARD LIMITED (Waltham Cross)
- Premier Ship Models Ltd (Hertfordshire)
- Itrinegy Ltd (Stevenage)
The Lord-Lieutenant Robert Voss CBE said - I am absolutely delighted that Hertfordshire has no less than nine winners of the Queens’ Award for Enterprise 2021 out of a total of 205 awarded for the whole of the UK. These are without doubt the most prestigious awards available to any UK business and are extremely competitive with several thousand companies entering. Five winners were awarded for International Trade and four for Innovation. I very much look forward to presenting the awards later in the year and congratulate each and everyone on this wonderful achievement. Their success really demonstrates that Hertfordshire is truly “The County of Opportunity and Entrepreneurship". The county and I are proud of you all.
2020 recipients of the Queen's Award
- Brogan Group Holdings (Welwyn Garden City)
- Buddi Limited (Rickmansworth)
- Innovative Trials Ltd (Lemsford)
- Peerless-AV Limited (Watford)
- QHi Group Ltd (Harpenden)
- SA Designer Parfums Limited (Watford)
- Silent Sentinel Limited (Ware)
- Prop Store Ltd (Rickmansworth)
2019 recipients of the Queen's Award
- Medisafe UK Ltd
- OPRO International Ltd
- D.K. Engineering Acquisition Consultancy Ltd
- Dotmatics Ltd
- D V Signage Ltd
- Home Health (UK) Ltd
- Willmott Dixon Ltd
2018 recipients of the Queen's Award
- Artemida Pharma Ltd
- Bamboo Distribution Ltd
- GAMA Healthcare Ltd
- Lintbells Ltd
- Wilmott Dixon Ltd
2017 recipients of the Queen's Award
- G B Kent & Sons plc – Hemel Hempstead
- Aerospares 2000 Limited – Watford
- Dianne Lee Regulatory Consultancy Limited – Letchworth Garden City
- P J Pipe and Valve Company Limited – Hertford
- Mettler Toledo Safeline X-ray Limited – Royston